Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"Wasta" & Da Struggle

When people have money, power tends to get into their heads. In many Arab nations, this is called having "wasta" - I'll cry if I want to and get away with anything card. Having wasta is equivalent to having unlimited privilege, influence, and power. Supposedly, the smaller the number or license plate on a car in Abu Dhabi, the more power or wasta that person has, meaning "I am #1 so don't mess with me". (Don't worry, I won't. I'm not that stupid.)

(Btw the #1 plate went for $14.3 million in an auction.)
                                       
One of my biggest concerns with living in Abu Dhabi is my race and gender and how I will be treated there because of who I am. Questions that I have asked myself include: Am I prepared to deal with being treated like a second-class citizen or a "lesser" of sorts if it happens? Am I ready to bite my tongue and hold back my American tendencies if injustices occur? Am I going to let people with wasta waste me or will I dust things off my shoulders? Can I roll with the punches? 

Don't get me wrong, I am determined to keep an open-mind so I can enjoy my experience exploring and learning about a new culture while providing a valuable service to an exciting, young country; the UAE is literally only 42 years old! However, I don't think it is wrong of me to be cautious. After all I am an unmarried, female traveling alone and working in a relatively conservative, male-dominate society, no matter how progressive it is trying to be. Many have said that men are shamelessly flirtatious over there, especially toward unmarried women. As a result I do not want to stand out or attract attention in any way, shape, or form if I can help it. I will blend in (ninja style) as much as possible - dress conservatively and be inconspicuous in order to respect their culture on the one hand and protect myself on the other.


I was struggling to find loose-fitting, shoulder-to-toe type clothes that still manage to be breathable for Abu Dhabi's sweltering weather. No, I don't plan on buying a department store worth of clothing to bring with me to AD, especially since there's a two, 50 lbs. luggage limit I can check in w/o extra charge, but I do need at least a few outfits that can hold me over when I first arrive so I can assess my environment and then buy some more appropriate dresses, pants, and shirts at one of its fine malls. People say that 100% cotton is best to fend off the killer heat while having enough coverage & looking respectable. After some research and wandering through malls, I bought some button up shirts from GAP to pair with jeans, khakis, or capris. Then I scored some long, black, maxi dresses that go all the way down to my ankles! Could not be happier when I found them because now I can mix and match different tops and scarves (if necessary) to go over them and wear for a variety of occasions. Yes, I know, I'm a genius. 

Left: Casual - For "western" establishments like hotels & at the beach
Right: Professional - For work & other more conservative environments

Other ways to cover up!

Button up shirts from GAP

These clothes will have to make do until I look like...
...which isn't so bad! In fact it's quite beautiful. 

I swear I'm not neurotic or paranoid, though, I know I can have these tendencies at times. I am simply trying to be a respectful, well-informed expat who's done her research. I will find out just how right or wrong I am and how accurate or inaccurate my assumptions and information are when I get there, and actually that's kind of exciting! The unknown and the mystery of it all both frighten and intrigue me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment